PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why does everything take so long
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2005, 09:53
Aussie Andy
PPruNaholic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If we ran a business that way ...
They aren't a business...

Why do we allow or regulatory authority to be so hopelessly ineffective?
Is there another way? I don't think there are many examples of government bureaucracies / regulators that behaves otherwise. It's like turning an oil tanker.

It's just a different culture than in business and it is not about to change. Not all business changes quickly or is always responsive either... look at e.g. Telewest, BT etc And their job is in some ways more difficult than in business, in that they are not autonomous and cannot simply decide then act: even when there is strong resolve to change things, it can take ages to liase with other government bodies (UK and EU and others), cater for regulatory assessments, impact studies and the like.

I don't disagree with what you want, nor that we should have it, but I just aint going to burn too many cycles wishing for the impossible, i.e. a swift response to what we perceive we want: it is the nature of these organisations to ponder, attempt to balance a range of external interest (and their own!), and to move slowly.

Let's put our energy into useful endeavours, like supporting the AOPA and others in their efforts to lobby and influence the regulators on our behalf by making the case for GA and aspirant PPL-IR holders such as ourselves - I just think this'll be more useful than wishing for the impossible, no matter how frustrating!

Andy