PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Radio Calls!!
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2005, 01:58
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Creampuff, try to be accurate with your comments. Yes, I have spent years trying to prevent (successfully it appears) VFR aircraft from making announcements on control frequencies when in enroute airspace. We hardly ever hear them now and this will mean that Airservices will be able to re-sector and save the industry millions of dollars per year.

I have, however, consistently pushed (for over 15 years) the US system where there are more calls in the circuit area and less “dialogue”. I have consistently said that good disciplined circuit procedures (as they use in the USA) are the best way of reducing the very high number of unalerted see and avoid incidents we get in our MBZs and CTAFs.

Once two aircraft start using radio arranged separation in the circuit area (as they were doing a few weeks ago at Mildura in CAVOK conditions) the whole frequency is blocked for anyone else. The US system showed that you could have up to 7 or 8 aircraft giving announcements and as long as no one starts answering and using “dialogue” it all works very well.

Creampuff, I have put my beliefs in writing for over 15 years. You will find I have been consistent on this because it is all just good commonsense and fits in with the advice that I have received from professionals around the world.

Last edited by Dick Smith; 18th Oct 2005 at 03:19.