View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2005, 21:24
Saab Dastard
Spoon PPRuNerist & Mad Inistrator

Received 251 Likes on 168 Posts
Bino,

Here's a link you may find useful:

http://www.macwindows.com/tutfiles.html

A few things to think about - Windows Vista is now in Beta, and MS are promising a new file system (although it is unlikely to make it into the first release of Vista). Vista will still allow much greater flexibility in organising data than current Win O/S - allegedly - so it may be worth reading about what MS have in the pipeline.

Bear in mind that Apple recently announced that it is switching from IBM Power PC to intel processors. Add to that the fact that OSX is basically UNIX and what have you got? x86 Linux, with a proprietary interface, effectively. At least with Linux you get to choose what hardware and even what bits of the software you want! Yes, I know there is more to it than that ;-)

While I have a great deal of respect for Apple's reliability, stemming as it does from a completely closed, proprietary hardware and software architecture, I have always mistrusted on principle an O/S that ejected a floppy disk by dragging it to the bin!

Seriously, having been brought up with the strict discipline of file structures (files in folders in drawers in filing cabinets in rooms), the Apple MAC approach seemed to be "just open the door and chuck the file in!"

My cousin bought a MAC laptop a few years ago and initially thought it was great, so easy to use. Now she has bought a Wintel laptop. Why? Because it was impossible to get the software she needed for the MAC. That is likely to be the most irritating aspect of MAC ownership - that , and paying over the odds for almost every (proprietary) thing.

SD