PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAA A340-200 cargo fire warning?
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2005, 18:48
Speed Managed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vfenext

I appreciate you enlightening me on the A340 and what ECAM "will tell you to do" in a RED LAND ASAP.
However, I must say I was responding on your first posting on this subject which does make alot of assumptions and insinuations.

According to Airbus,(FCOM 3.04.28) "you can jettison in any configuration and at any speed. When practicable, the height should be sufficient to avoid contamination on the ground (5000 feet AGL is considered adequate). When jettison is performed, avoid flying into jettisoned flow (which is decending at about 500 feet/min."

This is not LHR, this is miles of rural area, and you not flying at less than 5000 feet agl in busy airspace! Why complicate your RED LAND ASAP and do an overweight landing checklist when you don't have to. If they did jettison, and I don't know if they did, they probably were returning with time to better prepare the aircraft for landing.
This is a RED LAND ASAP you do what it takes to land the aircraft as safely and as quickly as you can.
As you said in your first posting, "Much better to put it on the ground and then worry about it!" Answer the questions later.

PS The MLW for an A340-200 is 181K (-300 = 192K; -600 = 259K)

PS On a lighter note, Urban legend on this subject :

Years ago, a Pan Am 747 taking off LHR 27R had an engine or two fail on take off. Captain advises ATC that they continuing on runway heading and dumping gas.
ATC advises Captain they may not dump gas there because the queen is in house, which is on runway heading at Windsor Castle.
Captain (Texan accent): "Well best you call the good lady and ask her, does she want just the parafine, or alu-minum with the parafine!"