PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAA A340-200 cargo fire warning?
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2005, 16:31
donpizmeov

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Vfenext,

If you need to you can dump fuel wherever you want. Lets see. Airfield thats over 5000'AMSL, heavy A340...not a startler performance wise...think I would reduce the weight if I had time. Got nothing else to do on the return to the airfield, so why not??? Better to wet a little ground with a bit of fuel, then scorch a whole bunch of it with an aeroplane and fuel thats off the end. Tell me, what flap setting would they be stuck with if above 210t? What kinda Vref, what kinda ground speed? Why do it if you do not have to?

Its kinda funny how you were quite protective of the crew that hit the trees at the end of BKK, but rather fast to question what happened here. We were not there, we do not know where they were, what height they were at, what the weather was like, how long they had been on duty and a whole bunch more. You have no idea that they thought it was a false warning or not...perhaps they had an hour or more transit to get back to the runway? We do not know. But we do know, that with all the info they had at hand, they took the action they thought was right, and by golly it seemed to work. So rather than than mouthing off like a wannabe, why not say.."Well done boys, I am glad it did not happen to me.'
Don