PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Officer Faces Jail - Refuses to Go To Iraq
Old 17th Oct 2005, 12:38
The Gorilla

Inter Arma Enim Silentius Lex Legis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

Indeed there were many people who expressed concern at and some who refused to accept that GW1 was legal. The top brass were sufficiently concerned to place a couple of Padres out at Akrotiri, which as we know was one of the main staging posts to GW1. I knew one of the Padres very well. His job was to provide moral support and of course eventually be the first to blackmail those who expressed a wish not to partake in the biggest desert party ever known. He told me that he had a very busy time!!

As for this man, if he wishes to make his stand so be it. But I don't think he is going about it in the correct manner, there are lots of easier ways to do it. In his profession it should have been easy to get signed off on the sick and PVR whilst waiting to get his med cat back. So maybe he is making a stand but isn't that what sets the Royal Air Force apart from any other service?

Isn't it true that ever since its creation RAF members have always questioned orders and sought better ways to do things? Isn't it true that after WW2 those in the Far East mutinied to get what they wanted, taking a stand against an illegal ruling back home? Yes the ringleader did pay a heavy price but they got what they wanted in the end.

The RAF has always, in my time any way, been populated by intellectuals and not automated yes sir killers. Such people have always known the difference between right and wrong. If this guy has made a call that he thinks the British Occupation Forces in Iraq are there illegally good luck to him, it is his call and it is his right to do.
Of course he won’t win, the MOD and HMG will make sure of that, whether he is correct or not!!

I know that many people within my Sqn expressed serious concerns over the issue of GW2 back in Feb 03. Many people were brow beaten and blackmailed into taking part. Myself included - we are doing this or you face a court martial! In my case I found a way out and unlike my now ex colleagues I have no blood of the innocents on my hands, well apart from maybe the odd wedding party in Afghanistan but that's another story!!

I must agree with Desperado that sometimes I have also felt the thought police have intervened too early on some other threads. I must congratulate every one thus far that this highly emotive thread has not yet degenerated into a personal insults slinging match. Keep up the good discussion!! Maybe PPrune can get back to the good old days!!!

As for the reviled comment Desperado, I meet hundreds of people from all walks of life every week. Unfortunately I have to talk to a large number of them. A large majority of the people in this country did not and do not support the entire Iraq thing. As the story continues to unfold the military is becoming embroiled in and tarred with the same brush as HMG. There is a lot of anti forces feeling out here now and there are no heroes’ returns waiting for you lot from a grateful nation, quite the opposite in fact.

For example just take a look at the way the media is portraying you at the moment.
This last week alone, stories about the Army Pay Core and its bogus Regt. The Doc story from Kinloss, PVR rate from Princess Wales Royal Regt gallantry medal winners, recruiting problems faced by all three services, compensation for the SAS breakout in Iraq as well as compensation for those who are being bullied back in the UK and finally the cost over run of the two new aircraft carriers. All such stories carried in a heavy negative slant and not a single good news story anywhere.

The facts are that this war on terror will not go on forever and IMHO there will be a payback required by the British Public. When this is all finished most people will expect\demand our Forces to be cut right back to prevent any such action from ever taking place again.

Back to the Doc issue, I don't smoke but I will always defend the right of those who do to continue to do so. If the Doc wants to stick it the man on his way out the door, his bravery must be applauded, even if it is foolhardy and absolutely pointless.