PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another **** Whinge Mk 2
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2002, 14:48
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hugh and Creampuff

On the subject of voice recognition, I have to go along with Hugh.

People with what's called "a good musical ear" are also invariably good at picking up other languages, because you see, the same listening and reproduction processing structures are used.

Some people have what is called "perfect pitch", the ability to listen to a note and either reproduce it exactly vocally or, play it on an instrument.

Whilst there have been some teething problems with the computerised "voice recognition" computer systems, they have been largely the problem of limited processing speed in the resolution of a hugely complex amount of information in a reasonable space of time rather than the principle involved. This increasingly is no longer so. The human brain has little if any problem with this.

One only has to watch a lamb go to its mother in the middle of a large flock to see that, or watch a new born babies eyes when he hears his mother.. .Why someone who I hadn't spoken to for over ten years, rang me after hearing my voice on a radio programme without the benefit of the intro and end, to see if it was me and compare notes.

In any event, the expert means to identify the voice absolutely, certainly to a very high level of confidence are available, if any one could be bothered.

Having resolved that part of the problem, the remainder of the question that Creampuff raises, in that having treeed (?) the cat, what are you able to do about it, other than run around the bottom barking a lot, remains unresolved?

Good intentions??? didn't stop the local Gestapo from taking me down to the local Gulag for a little chat after they observed me standing on the kerbside indicating to the motorists to slow down because there was a Constable Kodak around the corner at the bottom of a steep hill. They couldn't produce the goods either, though we did have an "interesting though fairly robust and vigorous chat". I graciously declined their generous offer of a ride home in the Blue and White.. .I suspect they are now drafting yet another regulation.

As for having someone ride shotgun with you, really. For someone who professes to to have no fear for what other people say or do about his path through life isn't that a little paranoid or . .is it really a little fear. Either way it's a bit sad.. .As the man says just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.