PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How was it? - Facing air traffic and weather for first time?
Old 17th Oct 2005, 03:48
slingsby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LHR was the most nerve wracking time, being in the hold at 8000ft with plenty other guys sharing the same space, we briefed on the expected ATC instructions and pretty much just followed their heading and alt calls. Still very sweaty palms for the last hour.

Weather wise, yes there has been some places I really wished I had stayed in bed, Boston last week for one. moderate turbulance from Fl120 down to the ground, 60knt tail wind on finals until 1500ft then a swift 25knt crosswind. Some deft stick and throttle work from him in the left seat still resulted in a GA, not pleasant. Second time round we knew or thought we did, what to expect, but by the time we had been vectored around for our second go, the wind alt, windshear and turbulence had all changed. Himself in the left seat threw away all the automatics, and hand flew the entire sequence, I was very much impressed with him. Snow and ice is one I do not favor, on the groudn or in the air.