PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair loses court challenge to Labour Court enquiry
Old 16th Oct 2005, 19:37
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
niknak.

I'm not sure the UK CAA are quite the snarling tiger you imagine. Indeed, in quite a few EU countries, NL & IT, their local AA's
should have been far more snarling for many years. They all seem to be more of a bureaucracy than a police force. If you compare the furore in the railway industry, there should be a much greater one in the airline world. I wonder why not.
That IMHO is a very big question. The bugs & worms uncovered in Railtrack et al have amazed a great many people. I wonder what the same kind of investigation would reveal in our hallowed world!

Further, I wonder why the UK CAA can not have more infuluence on RYR at its UK bases. STN is their biggest operation, yet it is under a flag of convenience. Is this arrangement so sacrosanct? Someone more knowledgeable will know.
If it is true that a Belgium judge ruled that those based in CRL were subject to Begium law for their emploment contracts, I presume this is true for all the other bases in their respective countries. If so, how come UK crews operate to Irish FTL's day in day out. They are not flying in on an ad-hoc contract for one day; they are based there permenantly. How can the UK CAA have absolutely nowt to do with it? I'm sure the UK pax think the UK CAA has jurisdiction over the operation for which they pay UK pounds for a ticket. Curious. Did the freedom of EU labour law really intend flag of convenience operations for such industries? I wonder if the same relaxation is allowed in the freight lorry business. Based in one country but registered vehicles in another.

True, I have no answers just questions and curisoity where our industry is going.