PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Officer Faces Jail - Refuses to Go To Iraq
Old 16th Oct 2005, 10:57
DESPERADO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Perhaps I have missed something here, but you lot seem to be arguing the toss over points of law. Who cares about that cr@p right now? The bottom line is that our guys and girls are getting shot at, wounded and killed on a daily basis. I joined up along time ago now with dreams of the Battle of Briatin, serving my country etc. Quite often it seems that many people in my country aren't that grateful any more, but what makes it all worthwhile are the friends and colleagues that I work with. I lost a lot of my idealism a long time ago but I replaced it with a loyalty to the common cause of looking after each other. I hope that this is the same for most people out there. I am still undecided about the rights and wrongs of Tony's war but I can tell you that plays little on my mind when I go there (Iraq) every year. I am trying to do my best for the people who are in the dwang - our troops.
This guy is a disgrace to his country, his uniform, his service and more important than all of that he is letting down those that need him most - his comrades. What he is doing is unforgiveable, politically motivated, cynical and selfish. I am quite happy to tell him that to his face if he wishes. He can be a big hero going to Colchester for a few weeks so that the Guardian readers can crow, but he is only giving the bird to the other people who have the sense and the understanding to get on with the job and not whine about it.
I don't have much time for Tony Blair, but guess what most of the other guys and girls would rather not be there either. Because of this idiot someone else has to go, or do back to back tours, someone elses husband/wife/daughter/son has to do more time in the line of fire. This man is supposed to be a medical professional but is effectively refusing to treat British troops who may need his help. His attitude that he seems to be making a 'stand' for the silent majority is patronising and selfish in the extreme.
Stop dancing around the issue and tell it how it is - think about your friends and colleagues out there who are on a daily basis struggling with a very difficult and dangerous situation and then take a look at this immature self-publicist who should never have got past the interview stage for joining the military. I am so angry about this. Why should he even still get paid? Does he not realise that it isn't Tony B that is relying on him, its his peers? This 'stand' will not affect anything - Tony B and his friends could care less. It hurts all of the rest of us.