PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS350 Astar / AS355 Twinstar [Archive Copy]
Old 16th Oct 2005, 04:46
NickLappos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shawn,
Actually, the 430 has twin sets of WAT curves, one set ( a pair of IGE and OGE hover charts) allows "wind from any azimuth" and the other set shows gross weights about 500 lbs more, and is for "wind within 45 degrees of the nose" for Cat B, 9 passengers or less.

This same travesty is published for the 212 and 412. I discussed this with the Ft. Worth ACO, and he told me that the zero margin yaw condition was used in the higher WAT because it was demonstrated and was safe, even though momentary contact with the stops was made, as long as there was measurable yaw rate in the direction of the input, there was still "control". Look at 29-2C page B-102 for a (ghastly) explanation of it.
See page 27 of the 430 product spec for the double line, one allowing hover with the wind off the nose only. I can email it to you, if you wish. Using this chart, the pilot can offload 600 lbs and have a good tail rotor, or gain the 600 lbs and lose yaw authority to fight a crosswind.

I have faced Bell 412's being sold to Saudi Arabia as SAR aircraft where that higher gross weight chart was used, with the words xeroxed out.

Last edited by NickLappos; 16th Oct 2005 at 04:57.