PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LEEDS
Thread: LEEDS
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2005, 22:41
Leodis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LBA name change?

I spoke to a councilor some time ago about this very issue, she said it would be impossible while the airports main share holders are Leeds and Bradford councils. Speaking to other members of management and marketing at the airport some time ago, it was noted that it would also be a very costly exercise.

Airports such as 'East Midlands' opted to follow the LBA way in choosing to name their airport after a city, 'Nottingham' East Midlands'.

Long term, the city of Leeds is likely to have its boundrys extended. The idea of a 'Greater Leeds' area has been suggested by the Chamber of Commerce. Business leaders from Leeds, Bradford, Wakefield and Harrogate have said they think the whole area would benefit from this, with the city of Leeds been the 'powerhouse' of finance, trade and industry of Yorkshire.

There is already talk that the whole of West Yorkshire and parts of North Yorkshire could become part of a 'Greater Leeds'. Cities such as Bradford would not disappear, but would become part of the 'Greater Leeds'.

After this has happened, a move towards choosing a new name for the airport will be more appropriate. It is my opinion that the 'Leeds' part should stay whatever happens. Liverpool get away with 'John Lennon' because he is world famous. I'm not sure 'Fred Trueman' is a world famous name?

Here are a few ideas.....

Leeds International
Leeds Bronte International
Greater Leeds International
Leeds Harry Ramsdon International

and of course, because the Greater Leeds boundry would include Halifax and Huddersfield, you can even have a

Leeds Patrick Stuart International

As for Robin Hood Doncaster Shefield, well, if Leeds wanted to include fictional names as well, this opens up a whole new ball game!

Leodis.