PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logbook and Logging Hours Questions
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2005, 18:13
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about my IMC rating, what should I log
There are two ways of logging instrument time.

One way is to log IFR time, in which case do as MJ and Despegue suggest.

The other alternative is to log time flown by sole reference to instrument, in which case you log all the time when you are either under foggles (or any other view-limiting device) or in actual IMC.

For the IMC rating, there is a requirement to log 10 hours of flight by sole reference to instruments, so it makes sense to log the whole course using the second method. For the IR, I don't think it makes any difference, but......

The only time it really makes any difference which method you use is if you are thinking of becoming an IMC or IR instructor. For instructing for the IR, there is an hours requirement of 200 hours of IFR time, or 50 hours of time by sole reference to instruments. There is a lower requirement for instructing for the IMC rating, but again 4 hours of IFR flight corresponds to 1 hour of flight by sole reference to instruments.

I'm guessing that you will find it far easier to log 50 hours of time by sole reference to instruments, than logging 200 hours of IFR time. In which case, you are better off logging all of your instrument flying time as time by sole reference to instruments, at least until you have the required 50 hours. But if you're not planning on instructing, it doesn't make any difference.

FFF
------------