PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nationwide recruits foreign pilots
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2005, 15:28
Shrike200

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Despite what some may say, 'business is business' etc, I disagree that what is happening now makes any business sense whatsoever. This is typical 'fire-fighting' business management. The need for foreign (or ANY other crew, being foreign is NOT the issue to me), was something NW created for themselves, by being obstinately short sighted in the past. A reasonably competitive salary, and more intelligent crewing levels would have done a great deal to prevent the present situation. Surely this is obvious? Needing to employ foreign pilots is a short term plan, and is probably more expensive ultimately. I can't see AF pilots coming here for a NW salary, which sets the standards for 'low' in the SA airline industry, one which is already low by European standards (I stand to be corrected there, but I believe the average SA airline pilot is paid less than the average Euro pilot.)

So, if it were me, I would rather fly with an SA pilot (better comms - I've flown with French pilots before), and I would like to see SA jobs going to SA crews, especially since there are plenty of us out here. But, it is an international market, so the job can go to whoever is appropriately licenced. My point is that this doesn't make much business sense from my POV. But hey, I'm not the wonder business man then, am I? I am able to hold onto my self-respect at least.....