PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ek Package increase
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2005, 08:51
BYMONEK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't expect to make a post like that and not receive replies.
That's why I posted the positives knowing full well there'd be plenty out there posting the negatives. The frustration that many of us have is that most of the problems here are easy to rectify with little or no cost to the Company.The analogy of the two buckets is often used in the Gulf and , i'd imagine, one that most of us use in a practical sense here in EK. If conditions were to deteriorate significantly such that the bad outweighed the good, i'd leave. My wife would ensure that! By then of course, there may be no containers left. There are,however, two points worth mentioning;

Provident Fund

This is something that affects us all. Unless you're a National of course where after only 15 years service you can look forward to 75% final salary for the rest of your life. Is that industry standard? I don't think so! For those few Airlines that still have FS schemes, 35 years service is the norm. For the rest of us though, we have to accept a provident fund that is poorly performing and is anything but actively managed. We need to pressure the Company into allowing us a more diverse range of funds to invest in. Funds which are available to the public and are accountable as such. If we did our jobs as badly as these so called money men, we'd have all been sacked yonks ago. Fidelity and Merill Lynch only have to make better than our EOB so hardly a strong incentive and room for sure for some creative accountancy. This is our future guys so start asking some difficult questions, especially you Quod Boy.

Report Times

Yes, interesting points that are brought up. In most Airlines it would be unheard of to turn up and start the actual brief up to 55 mins before report time. The Company culture here is a strong one and on the one occassion I did make my own way to work, was questioned why I was late when my 'official' report was not for another 20 minutes. We have no legal obligation to brief the CC before report so if the Company want us to, change the report time. If we're expected to brief as comprehensively as we do, then change the report time. BA do and it varies with type of operation so those on some flights, long haul/ ETOPS report at STD -80 minutes. And yes, it counts toward their FDL. And no, they're not expected to brief the CC. Personally, I prefer to use the Company transport and get in early so not to feel rushed but do take exception to being bollocked for turning up 20 minutes early!

How we go about trying to address these and other issues is a difficult one with few options available. Until the day we have a spokesperson for the whole Pilot body, we will continue to use forums like this as we know management read them. We also have the option of having the guts to go and speak to these people to highlight our grievances so that something MAY be done about it. Bitching and moaning at work may make us feel better, but it achieves little as we all know too well. Stick with the issues at hand and not the personalities.

Talking of 'personalities'. LHR Rain.........you're still not funny!

Regards BYMONEK

p.s Don, are fishing cause you ain't got the right fish yet!

Last edited by BYMONEK; 15th Oct 2005 at 11:29.