PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson R44
Thread: Robinson R44
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2005, 01:25
3top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Certainly it is correct to apply SLIGHT aft cyclic, according to the POH of the Robinson.
Problem is this STILL will not do anything until the Helo gets some G-loading again in some way.
So if you have the witts NOT to move the cyclic erraticly from one extrem to the other, you should be able to hold the cyclic, SLIGHTLY aft of center.
Once the right roll starts, the disc will also roll right.
Once you have some angle there your rotor will be able to pull some load in the resulting turn, THATS where the SLIGHT aft cyclic starts to work!
However if you kept pulling constantly this might also result in some impressively high RRPM, when recovering from the rather steep dive!
Remember that tail is still rising above you by inertia!

As mentioned before, best to avoid the whole thing, which implies that you know what you do in the first place!

You still can wring out the R brand (having fun, in other words), just know what you do.
I was lucky as THE man from the Safety Course had mercy with me and showed me a Low-g roll! Generally this was abandoned, as some low-time instructors ( being generally happy to stay in the air at all....) started to"demo" low-g on their first time out with a student after the Safety Course and didn't "do it right" - ending up mostly dead!
Actually no low-g is no big deal, once you know it!
Just like retreading blade stall, BUT you must know what you can expect when you approach these limits!
NEVER practise zero-g myself, nor do I show it to students. I do approachLOW-g though very carefully, but abort when I start to feel the G's disappearing!
Never let that nose go low!! BUT this serves to show how to avoid it by turning, thinking ahead, getting familiar with the feels when you approach the damn thing!

3top