PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2005, 16:34
NT42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's about time to stop lurking around on here, and actually post something! Very interesting reading all your reports, thanks.

So, to flying. I've got into the swing of things now - having one or two lessons a week.

Over the last four weeks or so, I've only managed to fit four lessons in. Numerous cancellations due to weather, but I managed four fun lessons. The first was my first session on circuits. Great fun, but I found it very hard. My landings were generally ok, but a little to the left. Overall not too bad, but lots of improvement needed! (Lesson time - 55mins)

My second was with another instructor. ATC weren't happy about us doing circuits, with the imminent arival of lots of airliners. So, it's decided we would do steep turns and PFLs. Steep turns I very much enjoyed, and got the hang of striaght away, managing to to it to exam standard. PFLs caused more problems, though. For some reason it just was not clicking. Generally too high. By the end I managed to get what would be a good landing in, but I wasn't flying my best. This was reflected in my landing, where my temp. instructor helped me in.

During that lesson I realised the importance of being with an instructor which suited you, and keeping that instructor. Up until that lesson I'd been flying very well. But this new instructor asked me to do things differently and had a totally different approach to teaching, which didn't suit me. He'd try and help me through everything, when I'd been used to "there's the 'plane, now go fly it". This new approach totally threw me, and apparently I "wasn't ready for circuits"... (Lesson time - 65 mins)

So next lesson I had my instructor back, and I was much happier! Straight into circuits, I was much more confident and flew a lot better. The circuit itself was ok, a little fast in initial turn to crosswind leg, but generally not too bad. Still landing to the left of the centre line, but "getting there". (Lesson time - 50 mins)

Another lesson on circuits. This time I flew (without trying to sound big headed) brilliantly. Apart from missing a call from ATC everything went fine. The first circuit was tidy, and got straight in for a good landing, if a little to the left. Second circuit again was tidy with a much better landing, smack in the centre and soft touch down. Third - as good as the second.

I'm slowly pottering down 25, ready to put full power on for another circuit and I get a tap on the shoulder......thinking to myself "bloody hell, what have I done wrong now?!" my instructor asks "fancy a go at one yourself". Didn't quite know what to say, I reminded him I hadn't done my airlaw, but "the flying's more important". So I dropped him off, positioned on the runway and wait for clearance. I've probably never been as nervous in my life! But as soon as I was flying those nerves went, really needed to concentrate now! I managed to fly a fairly neat circuit, although I found my self getting a little too high at times (I blamed the nerves). After five minutes orbiting I was cleared to land - this was the real test. Luckily I did get down ok, and managed to make probably my shortest landing yet.

Couldn't have been happier! Greeted by my instructor with a well done and a big handshake! (Nearly chickened out, though. As he left the aircraft my instructor passed me a map and said "just incase you need to divert to Teesside!" I'd never been south of the Tyne, never mind down there! Luckily though, everything was fine, and I was chuffed! Hopefully get up again tomorrow...need to do air law before another solo. Think I'm ready for that, though. (Lesson time - 45 mins dual, 15 mins solo).

Thanks everyone, and sorry that was so long!

John.