PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Zone Infringements - why ?
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2005, 13:13
High Wing Drifter

Fuji,
High Wing Drifter

How much was the map adrift by?

Why was it adrift?

How many times has it occurred?

How quickly did you identify the problem?

With respect, that was my point. Pilots say GPS is not very reliable, but never seem to set out the facts.
About 4 or 5nm. You'll have to ask Mr Honeywell why it was adrift. It happened once, since then I haven't really bothered with GPS and now the group disbanded I don't have one. Not sure how long it was like that, because I was flying with watch and chart, the GPS was on to satisfy my passenger's curiosity, but we are talking at least minutes. Before anybody suggests it, I was right and it was wrong - OK

I would support mandatory GPS training as part of the PPL syllabus...GPS is one of the most important pieces of equipment in the cockpit both as a navigational aid but also as a very good means of getting yourself out of trouble.
It was once said that the difference between the US and British armies is that the US man the equipment and the Brits equip the man. Anything that even remotely suggests "thou shalt use GPS" is fundementally a bad idea. What ever the reasons for pilots busting CAS, fundementally it was because they swtiched off rather than the GPS not being switched on. IMHO, to totally prevent CAS busts flying must be a simple activity, so long as man holdeth the stick and pusheth the buttons nothing will ever make flying a simple task

Last edited by High Wing Drifter; 14th Oct 2005 at 14:44.