PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From zero to CPL and FI: Cost in UK (Merged)
Old 14th Oct 2005, 13:12
blade771

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jemax

Good post, its not easy going the self study route and to have completed it in 1 year is very commendable. You mentioned a couple of good point for those wishing to take that route. I must agree with the point on training in the states, as an employer / someone who sees a great deal of CV's my senior guys always frowned upon those who had trained and hour built in the states, 'fair weather fliers' as I kept getting told!! The british weather, as you rightly pointed out, can throw some pretty interesting situations at you very quickly and it is those who unfortunately push on into worsening conditions or IMC that create the accidents - a field is always a better option.

Another useful titbit for those with low hours (which includes myself!) is to try and get associated with an AOC company where you can either, if you are really lucky, dead leg or at least go on trips to areas you have not been before - we have always had problems with the low time flyers who do not hours build away from base i.e. train at an airfield and fly 100 hours at that airfield. It will always lead to problems in Nav and confidence. There are a number of operators who I am sure would welcome those who are interested. This also gives those who have not had experience in the commercial world a chance to see what really goes on - for those thathave been through it will more than likely agree that the training, irrespective of how good the school is, can never really prepare you for public transport flying - passengers can be a strange addition to the cockpit environment.

All in all flying is great fun and a hell of a way to earn a living (for those that can), the very best of luck to all looking for work or going through the fun of the CPL!!

Furthermore for those going on the self study route (fixed or rotary) - I cannot recommend Bristol Ground School strongly enough, Alex and the team are fantastic and the notes are relatively easy to read. They also have fantastic feedback so you should be pretty well prepared for the exams.