PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Zone Infringements - why ?
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2005, 11:41
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WR

Depends on the objective. If the objective is to eliminate CAS busts then some sort of highly reliable navigation is required.

It isn't going to be achieved with better training. Just how much more training can you stuff into somebody who keeps forgetting to reset/start the stopwatch, or flies just 10 hours/year and cannot fly an accurate heading, or is flying a plane whose knackered DI drifts 10 degrees every 10 minutes... I would be busting CAS all the time if I had to fly like that, yet that is the only option for a typical new PPL!

It could be achieved with radar, mandatory Mode S, mandatory radio contact, etc, but nobody will pay for the radars or the personnel. And it would be silly.

I think one could eliminate practically all CAS busts if every plane had a decent large colour moving map GPS (not a GNS430 - map is far too small) with a current database, preferably showing a copy of the printed CAA chart.

There are other little things like elimination of RPS and QFE and getting everyone to fly on QNH only.

It won't happen, but there is no reason to not talk about it