PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Zone Infringements - why ?
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2005, 09:55
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this impression might be driven by the very binary nature of airspace and control in the UK. There seems to be absolute control and bandit country. The blending of levels of control and freedom that exist in many other countries doesn't really happen. Therefore, CAT pilots and controllers trying to control/operate in bandit country (i.e. EGLF) have a bigger challenge and the duty of care philosophy results in Class D being treated almost as Class B.
HOW VERY TRUE.

The ease with which a VFR pilot can fly through anything (below Class A) in the rest of Europe (except Switzerland, IME) is astonishing and an absolute eye opener. And this includes e.g. Brussels, some of the busiest airspace around.

It can't be the traffic, it must be different attitudes.

I suppose the UK gets away with it because of the plentiful Class G. So one can always pretend that VFR traffic (and sub-airways IFR traffic too) never needs to get clearances, so why bother to give them?

After all, all the pilots need is to navigate accurately !! A fair enough attitude, OK for me and the others who have all the proper nav kit and know how to fly A-B-C-D-E but the training syllabus and establishment are still firmly stuck in WW1 practices.

I know I've said this before but IMO the only reason the situation is able to continue is because most PPLs chuck in flying very soon. So the situation never really needs to be addressed. Which is just as well because.... what is the solution?? Mandatory GPS is the only way, and nobody in the training business wants that.