PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So what's up at Polar? (Merged again & again)
Old 14th Oct 2005, 01:33
Miamfreight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a Shame

This thing could have turned out so well for the cargo pilots. Defining struck work was a "bone of contention" between Atlas and Polar during Atlas' contract negotiations. During this round the Polar and Atlas MEC's worked so closely together to deal with this issue. The Polar group spent a lot of time identifying specific flights that they have historically done. The Atlas guys acknowledged these flights but came up with the best solution ever. "We can not be compelled to cross a legal picket line." What a graceful solution to a tough problem. What happened? After the strike the definition of a "picket line" was a hot topic. Shakey guidance from the Atlas MEC results in indecision. This was followed by brave guidance from the Atlas MEC Chair. (I am confused now.) Injuncitons follow. Net result in my opinion. The aviation community in general sees Atlas Pilots (except for a few stand up individuals) as scabs. ASMI (Aircraft Scabs Maintainance Insurance). Stand by UPS and FedEx.

Next step integrating two hostile pilots groups. Gee, doesn't this company do it's best to operate safely.

I think Polar is history. The law suits against AAWH and ALPA will go on for years but in the long run the Atlas crews will prevail because they have shown themselves to be the most malleable to management. Cato holds all of the cards. He loves his pilots to be subservient. Polar has not proved to be easy to deal with.

It was a brave move but futile move by the Polar pilots. Unfortunately corporate America rules.

Think twice before applying to Atlas. I'd rather have my back covered by an Evergreen or Kallita guy any day.