PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bent Albert
Thread: Bent Albert
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2005, 22:20
flipflopman RB199

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Spaniels Ears.

As your RB199 friend states, he clearly does not know much about Albert, as he states.

Forgive me if I am speaking out of turn, as I am unfamiliar with Hercs,
However, as an experienced engineer, I have a very good understanding of how the accelerometer system works. Yes, the cockpit gauge is an indicator to the aircrew of the airframe 'g' loading, as it is on ALL aircraft, but are you suggesting that the 'g' loading differential between the cockpit and main accelerometer is going to be sufficiently different as to say the landing was within limits? No, of course not. If US Herk's stats are correct, there is a 0.2'g' differential between the cockpit gauge and airframe accelerometer.

Is 3.8'g' enormously different to 4'g'?

If it is, please excuse my ignorance and put it down to the fact that I am obviously getting confused with the fact that a Hercules is a completely different aircraft to the Tornado.

Country Calls,

Are you absolutely convinced that the accelerometer fitted to Albert has been fitted since the 60's and never serviced? Only that strikes me as being a somewhat unquantified statement. I personally have been seen numerous 'g' meter/accelerometer changes due to unserviceability over my years in the RAF, which would mean I have clearly wasted a lot of time over the years on jobs that obviously did not need doing?
I refer to the cockpit gauge being recorded, as that is the first indication groundcrew have of any overstress, and the starting point of a more detailed investigation. After 18 years on Tornado, I defy you to take the fatigues, and know at a glance that there is amything amiss.
Thank you for your explanation of the 3 banks I was merely trying to show how there are minute differences all across the airframe, but these are nowhere near in the range of 2-3'g'. Nor would the cockpit gauge ever jump about in the region of 2-3'g' during a heavy landing, or this would happen every time the A/C pulled any 'g' whatsoever.

and breathe out.............

Edited to answer Country calls

Last edited by flipflopman RB199; 13th Oct 2005 at 22:38.