PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Flight in the UK on an Irish JAA PPL
Old 13th Oct 2005, 22:06
dublinpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Night Flight in the UK on an Irish JAA PPL

I have an Irish Aviation Authority issued JAA Private Pilots Licence. I am thinking about adding a night rating to it.

Night flying within Ireland is rather limited, in that it must be conducted either under Special VFR or under IFR. IFR flight can only be conducted by an instrument rating holder. Therefore a PPL/night is effectively limited to control zones within Ireland.

As I understand it, in the UK flight outside control zones is conducted under IFR, and no special rating is required so long as you remain within Visual Metrological Conditions.

Now, here is my question. Does this effectively mean that as a (potential) holder of an IAA issued JAA PPL licence, with a night qualification, if I travel to the UK, I will still be restricted to just SVFR in control zones, and that I can not fly outside control zones at night in the UK, because I can’t fly under instrument flight rules?

The paragraph in question seems to be paragraph 19(1) of the IAA (Personnel Licensing) Order 2000. Which can be found here .

It reads:
19. (1) A person shall not act as pilot-in-command of an aircraft or as co-pilot of a
multi-pilot aeroplane or helicopter registered in the State under instrument
flight rules unless such person holds a valid instrument rating -
(a) issued or validated by the Authority and endorsed in or deemed by the
Authority to be included in the licence held by such person or in the
validation of such licence, as the case may be, and
(b) appropriate to the category, class or type of aircraft flown.

If the UK is out, would I be allowed to conduct a meaningful VFR night flight in France?

Thanks