PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Morale - Discuss!
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2005, 19:51
iccarus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately, its human nature to try and do your best. Its also forces nature to have the 'can-do" attitude and achieve the maximum at all times. These two little traits are a major cause of most the problems we have. We constantly try to achieve the unachievable without the right resources. And surprisingly, we often manage to get the job done. But at the expense of 'burnt out crews' , the loss of a lot of good will, and hence crap morale!!Additionally, no- one is prepared to stand up and be counted and say -- STOP. With the assetts and crews we have we just can't achieve what you are asking. (For one it would adversely effect their future career!)

What does this mean on my frontline?

Well it has meant at times, 8 back to back working weekends, (and before you ask, the boys were also doing the obligatory mon - fri at i estimate to be minimum of 12 hour days). And all this during normal peacetime ops!!

I'd love to do the whole officer thing and provide solutions rather than problems , but the truth is i can't think of any.

Its simple - there is no money, and the service is relying solely on the good will of its men and women to survive. And then it wonders why the guys and gals leave at the earliest opportunity!

Perhaps, and this is at a push, we should consider some sort of union to push for the rights of the people who defend their country. ( European court of law might actually help us in achieving this for once).

Saw it work wonders with the Danish Air Force!!!(or is that another thread?)