PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nato Caoc
Thread: Nato Caoc
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2005, 13:17
FromTheDarkside

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KC-10 Driver

Big hand figures are that the current 10 NATO CAOCs have a peace-time manpower overhead of about 1150. These CAOCs are manned by NATO nations who decide whether or not they wish to contribute manpower to a particular location. Under the new structure there will be 4 static CAOCs and 2 deployable CAOCs that will be funded and manned internationally by all the NATO nations. Therefore in theory, the US should take up a share of the posts in all locations; however it is up to the US to decide how many personnel it commits and where. The new structure requires around 1300 posts the increase is because of the slightly larger complement in each of the 4 +2 CAOCs and the inclusion of a new element the DARS (Deployable Air Control Centre (ACC), Recognized Air Picture Production Centre (RPC) and Sensor Fusion Post (SFP) (DARS)) in effect an aircraft Control and Surveillance centre with bells and whistles.

The current CAOCs have USAF personnel assigned and I see no reason why the future should not see a similar number. There will be a requirement for AAR planners - but whether or not the USA decides to bid for those posts and at what rank it will be manned is a question for your command staffs. I would suggest you contact HQ USAFE at Ramstein - DOYO I think was the department though the name may have changed. 32 AOS at Ramstein might also have an insight on where your nation is going man the new CAOC structure.

Good Luck

FTDS

PS: don't hold your breath - the new manning is probably not going to be in place until 2007 at the earliest and the kit is rumoured to be further delayed.