PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lady pilots in training?
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2005, 13:23
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting post, pipergirl.

The toys that children are given to play with when very young is not a plot to reinforce gender stereotypes, though you may think so! Several studies over the last few years have shown that female children, when given a choice, will generally gravitate towards toys that allow them to express a caring nature, and boys will (equally generally) gravitate towards toys that allow them to construct things - or destroy them! My own experience with my own two children, who were never force-fed any kinds of toys, suggests to me that these findings are correct.

Education in school is a different matter. I can well remember discrimination by sex for certain subjects. As my formal education ceased over 30 years ago, I must admit I am surprised to hear you suggest that it still goes on. I can't remember any young women I've met over the last few years mentioning anything similar - and I would be incensed if anyone suggested my daughter could not take any subject simply because of her sex!

Careers 'officers' are a different matter - I'm sure you will find many, many men here who were told similar rubbish by ignorant advisors who had no idea of what they spoke. I'm afraid that situation is still prevalent in many schools. It's often easier to put children off a given profession than to do some research and give them good advice - and this profession is among the more difficult to get information on, even if you want to. That, after all, is why Wannabes is here!

Scroggs