PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lady pilots in training?
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2005, 13:08
pipergirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really interesting discussion-

I wholeheartedly agree with Whirlygig-
girls simply do not want to do it, but I think that is down to the attitude towards the differences in boys and girls from a young age..boys are encouraged to play with lego etc..and the girls are not..they are given dolls and all that jazz
Girls and boys are categorised from a young age.
Girs play with dolls and prams and other girly things and the boys play with the more manly things cars, footballs, lego etc..

I think girls from a young age, are not given the same educational oppurtunities as the boys. In my school, there were no mechanical subjects(eg mechanical drawing etc) and the places in the chemistry and physics classes were very limited and were restricted to a class of something ridiculous like 10 per class (and there were only two classes).
I also think they do not get the same encouragement to get into the more scientific or mechanical areas when they leave school.

One thing that put me off flying as a career was a visit to my careers guidance teacher when I was 13..When i asked her what subjects should I look at taking for my leaving certificate(A-Levels) that would help me when I go to train as a pilot when i leave school. She told me to "get a life and get real"-yes, she really did tell me that! and that "that is a profession for responsible people"..I was only 13!!!lol
I was completely put off a career that I always dreamed of doing.

So, when I finished school, I went to uni then went to work and was doing something that I didn't want to do...I just thought "f##$ it" why shouldn't I give it a go and I got stuck in...and here i am still working at it

anyway that's my two cents worth!