PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson R44
Thread: Robinson R44
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2005, 12:30
[email protected]

Received 622 Likes on 270 Posts
3top - I didn't know the guy who crashed but it was in Southern UK in the mid 90s operating out of Bournemouth if memory serves and it was an instructional sortie with a FW pilot who was converting to helis. Theirs was a tail boom strike (again if memory serves) and suspected to be negative G related.

Your suggested technique for centering the cyclic is a good one but I don't supoose there are many instructors willing to demonstrate it so few R22 students are likely to find out about it until it is too late.

As for the rollover, I re-learned a basic instructional lesson that it is always the best student that tries to kill you once you have relaxed - lowering the lever smartly when the Nr horn goes off is a good thing unless you are in a 5' hover over tussocky moorland which can trap a skid. Dynamic rollover here we come! It is the one occasion I have been thankful for a low-inertia rotor as the blades and engine stopped on impact.

I found the autos and EOLs straightforward using the same technique as on the Gazelle, just much quicker with a lower start height for the flare.