PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air New Zealand to follow Ansett
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2001, 01:04
RedUnderTheBed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rabish Binny, please read all my posts before ascribing simplistic summaries to them. They are a response to the mindless sniping and attacks coming from Australia and Ansett staff directed at NZ and Air NZ staff. I have NEVER claimed that no fault lies on this side of the deetch, merely pointed out that the Ozzie involvement in this sorry mess is not beyond reproach. I see the second paragraph of your post actually reinforces what I've been pointing out, let the facts emerge before making your rush to judgment.

The Australian government was appraised of the problems at Ansett way back in May and could well have washed its hands of the airline and its staff then. At least Pontius Pilate had the good grace to keep his mouth shut during the crucifixion, which is more than we can say for Anderson and his boss.

Demonising Gary Twomey is irrational, he was always doomed to failure; The New Zealand Herald reports this morning that the administrator took just 12 hours to work out that only a 'minor miracle' kept Ansett alive for the past year or so, about as long as Air NZ has been the 100% owner and is indicative of the state of the airline up to then. You may have noted from my previous posts, however, that Selwyn Cushing had better be careful which bus queue, or increasingly likely, dole queue, he joins.

It is also now emerging, as Baldingeaglepoints out, that SIA's role in this sorry mess may not stand close scrutiny and its directors on Air NZ's board may not have been acting in the best interests of the Koru.

From what I've read recently about cost structures at Ansett and Qantas; whither Ansett and increasingly likey Air NZ, also Qantas - you read it here first!

Rest assured, if my job does go down the flusher I will not be directing my ire at people so remote from blame as to be almost victims themselves, as has occurred in the last week in this forum and on Australian streets. I see even NZ Trade Unionists offering their support got booed yesterday, I wondered why they even bothered!

P.S: Events of the last week have demonstrated beyond dispute how thin the veneer of civilization is in the West Island.