PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air New Zealand to follow Ansett
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2001, 03:21
RedUnderTheBed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your mind is made up & you don't want to be confused by the facts, skip this post.

When Air NZ bought 50% of AN in '96 it also inject the thick end of a further $150m to keep it going. Ansett has been kept aloft in more recent times by 'significant' contributions from the broader group, ie AIR NEW ZEALAND. Instead of cursing us and condemning us to the scrap heap you ought buy us a few beers next time you see us for keeping you employed for so long.
As for the 50% ownership. News Corp retained the management and ANZ got 3 directors. When was the last time you saw a director fixing a jet or checking the uneditted books? They only knew what AN management, ie News Corp management, told them. News Corp always wanted out so what were the ANZ directors told? You work it out.
I don't actually care how many contracts Air NZ pilots have - there's only one that counts, the NZALPA one as it is the most restrictive and all other groups work by it even though they have less restrictive (**** poor) ones and more pay. The 'flexibility' of the Ansett contracts is irrelevant, read what I said previously, on similar PRODUCTIVITY rates ANZ pilots are way cheaper than AN pilots.
As far as the 17m v 3m population comparisons. Why do you think ANZ bought in in the first place? If Keating hadn't reneged on open skies we would now have a stand alone Kiwi carrier in Oz in accordance with CER. I read a comment today regarding Helenovich's commitment to CER, how good was Keatings? The only reason Air NZ bought into Ansett is because we couldn't start our own and it appeared to be a better airline than a closer inspection proved.
HT, I'm sorry you lost your job yesterday but 10-12 years ago 70ish Air NZ pilots lost there's on the altar of corporate efficiency too. I know the scale is different in your case but on an individual basis this is no different, it's just come 10 years later.
Best of luck in the job search.

As for those who wish an early or otherwise demise on Air NZ - You're beneath contempt