PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it that much cheaper to train in the US?
Old 11th Oct 2005, 19:20
Kengineer-130

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting thread, some very good points made , I am off to the USA, FL, very soon to do my JAA PPL, and I made my choice on the following:

1) £ price, at £2800 all in, inc all textbooks, exam fees, skills tests, TSA and sevis fee's. JAA medical, accomodation, 45Hrs, and night rating, it can't be too bad!!!

2) weather- has got to be a better bet than UK weather all year round!

3) the "block learning" idea, ie spent 4 weeks living and breathing flying, in the UK you have distractions like work, women ( or men if you are a member of the fairer sex ), beer, time etc, and inevitably end up covering old ground as its been a week/ 2 weeks from your last lesson.

4) even though its a intensive pakage, and bound to be hard work, its still a bit of an experience and a small hobby holiday.

My flight is £372 return, and food/drink I recon £10 a day should cover it easily so, working on the average UK PPL package of £5000-£6000, this still leaves me around £2000 "change" to do checkout rides and additional flying training should I need it,and I intend to grab a UK instructor and fly for a bit to make sure I am happy in UK airspace when I return

I hope I havn't been blinkered, I will post a report up when I get back, and If I have neglected to include anything please tell me