PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in the face of the law - pilot bikers land fines
Old 11th Oct 2005, 14:34
Chronic Snoozer

Received 340 Likes on 131 Posts
Red face

That's pretty much along the lines of my argument with people that can't understand that no-one has ever died from speeding.
If you agree that 'speeding' generally describes the driving of a vehicle in excess of the posted speed limit, then it is difficult to differentiate between 'excess speed' and 'speeding' - many people have died because of speeding. Driving off the road, missing a corner, sliding off a wet road can all be caused by excessive speed or speeding. I know we will agree that it is the degree to which drivers exceed the recommended speed that has the most to do with how they end up.

This takes nothing away from the argument that in certain conditions 30kph more speed is not less safe. Christ, in Europe you get pulled over for going too slow on an autobahn. (yeah I know, they're built for 250+kph)

Its difficult to believe that fellow professionals believe the notion put forward here that there is somehow a link between the actions of the gents in question and their professional performance as pilots. Again on PpruNe, pilots are put unnecessarily on some pedestal with other highly respected professions so as to expose the apparent lack of virtuousness of these gents, not to mention slag off their employer. What a slow news day story if ever, as if somehow mentioning their occupation makes them deserving of increased, subjective scrutiny.

What naysayers might consider asking is WTF is society doing allowing the manufacture and purchase of bikes that can do 150kph in 2nd???