PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Training - North East Scotland
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2005, 11:37
silverknapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Floppy is correct, you can train for PPL at Perth through Tayflite and the aero club. Go and visit them both before you make any choices. Of the two I would personally choose Perth, for the following reasons:
  • Perth is a cracking airport, with 3 runways to choose from. Training at Dundee can be very limited by the cross winds there.
  • Tayflite are just over £10 an hour cheaper than Tayside.
  • A recent article in the Scotsman put a lot of uncertainty forward about the future of Dundee, in the short term. It doesn't make money as an airport and the council want rid of it quickly.
  • You can't beat learning in an aero club atmosphere. Dundee feels like being at school, especially with lots of air cadets running about.
However you can't beat visiting a place to get a feel for it.
I have trained at several schools in Scotland. The one I liked most was Highland aero club at Inverness. It may be too far for you but they are by far the cheapest of the lot and are an excellent school. Indeed a full PPL is £1130 cheaper than Tayside. You could make a weekend of it and pay for a B&B with what you save on flying! Also Inverness enjoys far better weather than both Perth and Dundee so you would make quicker progress. And they do ground school lectures for free.

DB6
A quick look at Tayside's web site says that the Grob i more expensive than the 152. Is this wrong?