PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Letter to United
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2005, 09:02
N380UA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had trained with UAL in the mid 90's in terms of an intern whilst studying at ERAU in DAB. I was truly impressed with the organization and training I had received there. As a foreign student I wouldn’t have been able to actually find employment with United or any other US carrier. I also wanted to go back home. But given the choice UAL would have been my preference. I sure hope they'll get back out of chapter 11 soon.

Although I have not worked in the US, I would assume that management between Europe and the US is very similar as it would be around the world. As such we find bean counters on the carpet floors of our industry. In their realms, aviation is just another industry, comparable to the automotive or IT industry. Its all interchangeable – or so they believe. Very seldom we find folks running organizations like UAL that have actually grown from within. Folks that started as FO or line engineer actually understanding from within how it all works together and after 20 or 30 years making it to CEO.

Another problem, I feel, has been the deregulation of our industry. I know that would be a pretty un-American thing to say but as a result we find ourselves devouring each other. Undercutting prices on routs which are of little significance in the first place only to please the share holder. In order to acquire even more, sometimes way beyond that what is healthy for a company, we employ those bean counters to run the show for us – we surrendered our own profession to people who don’t know what aviation is!

They then will tell you that they are in the hot seat. They have to increase share holder value, SRM, fleet, routs etc. to a given set of predefined values. All of which is accomplished at and on the cost of employees, and material. If they don’t meet these expectations they will be fired, whilst getting a golden handshake of course. Employees get sacked or a reduction or salary, the share holder sells his paper and the company is virtually out of business.

Sad, but that’s the way it is. Aviation wont ever be what it once was. Its just another business.