PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do BA Cabin Crew pull their weight?
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2005, 20:36
Eddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To a large extent, I agree with your post.

There are a number (fortunately only a small number) of people in this company who are never happy with their lot. We are the best paid crew in the United Kingdom but a minority continue to want more.

Our Union are, in my opinion, often quite militant and fight hard for the wrong things. They are a fantastic Union to be a part of and we have some excellent people acting as reps but often, I feel they fight the company for the sake of fighting.

As for the job and working hard, I like to think I pull my weight. Very much so. I quite enjoy doing juicerounds but sadly, with the constant stream of people in to the galleys onboard, doing these at regular intervals is seldom possible.

If working in Club or First where passengers loitering in the galley is less of a problem, I pass through the cabin atleast every twenty minutes and never without a tray of juices or snacks in hand.

The problem these days is that passengers will often not let the crew get on with their job. I love the interaction with the passengers but they don't realise that by standing in the galley for twenty minutes with perhaps just two crew on duty down there during breaks, they are depriving the rest of the passengers of a quality service as the galley can't be left unattended while a passenger is there.

I pull the curtains across and maintain vigilance but it's amazing how often I've returned to the galley to find people with their hands in the bar trolleys saying "I just thought I would help myself so I didn't have to bother you".

I adore my job. There are one or two aspects that annoy me - like rude and selfish passengers, passengers who see fit to sit next to me in the galley after I have just returned from rest at 3:30am in the morning and choose to speak about his/her travelling habits. These things though are just a small part of the job and I can usually deal with them.

This is a great job, British Airways is a fantastic company and should Clarkson choose not to travel with us again, I say that it's his loss.