PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type Rating - which type, where, why pay etc?
Old 8th Oct 2005, 14:40
20driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I say play the cards you are dealt - life is not fair and there is no use whinging about it.
If you have the cash or the means - buy the TR. Ignore the rumbling idiots on this site. A great deal of it is shared misery - I suffered through years of mac and cheese instructing etc - so should you. (Bet you have theses guys saying this don't or won’t admit to their getting a big leg up somewhere through luck, or acquaintance.)

If all these guys - who know what is good for you - say you are responsible for eroding T&C's - BOLLOCKS - They have the power to stop it. You go on a no paid TR strike how does that impact the airlines??? They go to their employers and say - start a bonded training scheme or we walk - Come on guys - do it for the good of the industry - you have the power. If your cojones are anywhere as big as your mouths you can do it.

You've got the cash or the means - from the sound of you you've earned it - so spend it how you like. Just remember - no guarantees - roll the dice and don't moan if you are the only type rated shelf stocker at Tesco's.
Remember - many airlines and the military hired zero hours and trained them with excellent results. The idea you need to do a bunch of serf time is just a way to subsidize flight schools etc. Search through these threads and there are many who mentioned getting hired with your time - it's luck, timing and the direction of the industry. (Which is up)

I’d suggest you really work at talking to people in the industry – maybe even get an airport job just to be on the inside of the fence. Your choice is the 737 or the 320 series. So see what company you’d like to work for – talk to people inside and go that way.

It’s all about what you want and you are prepared to do.
As Henry Ford said – “never complain and never explain”

PS - Personally - If I was single the idea if bashing around Africa or something like that would be fun. You never get a chance to do that kind of thing again.

To be a little more constructive

I would find out who you\'d like to work for - really learn everything you can about the company - stock - officers - routes plans - etc It is not that hard to figure out who will need bodies.
There is a lot of info out there about aircraft orders - leases etc

Then contact the CP or some of the training pilots -and ask them what they think of the various TRTO\'s. Work in ground ops - do everything to show you are ready to commit to working hard for them.

The key is to get to talk to people - if you have really done your homework and have a good attitude is shows and doors will open. That lets you turn the attitude of the LHS prima donna\'s posting here in your favor.