PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Civvy to military handovers.
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2005, 09:48
Workisfun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R Sole, I can shed some light on the answer to your third question.

When a pilot requests RAS it is usually the case that he is IFR, IMC and not able to see and avoid other traffic. RAS will provide the pilot with advisory vectors or altitude changes which aim to acheive 5nm or 3000ft separation. In order to reach your destination expeditiously it may be the only option to route you through areas of high traffic density where the standard separation may not be acheived (hence the phrase) but the controller will still vector around and call conflicting traffic. So if you're RAS and hear that phrase, you will still be vectored and informed of all conflicting traffic it's just that you may not be separated by the standard 3000ft or 5 miles.

If you don't want the avoiding action then just ask for a RIS.

And remember even under a FIS controllers still have a duty of care over you so they should call so called 'dead ringers' my criteria is within 1mile and 500ft. But don't rely on it as not all controllers are as nice as me!!!!

However when a controller is working to capacity he is well within his rights to downgrade the type of service to RIS or even FIS f its that bad, But what will normally happen is the FIS tracks he is working will be freecalled on route, then another controller(usually approach) will start to handover the RIS tracks onto other units leaving the controller to concentrate on providing the best service possible to the RAS traffic.

So whether the controller is busy or not RAS is RAS. If he is too busy to provide RAS he should offer downgrade to RIS. High traffic density is not an excuse not to offer avoiding action or call traffic.

Hope that helps

Last edited by Workisfun; 8th Oct 2005 at 10:00.