PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Great Western PA31's embracing westerly's
Old 8th Oct 2005, 06:12
185skywagon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, not sure what you would know about commercial charter operations given you dont really conduct any. I wouldnt say that baiting would have any similarities so I dont understand your apparent knowledge.

Let's see, Commercial charter operations, mmmm.
Well yes, I have done a little bit, comprising Tours, low level survey, straight out charter, freight. Just because we fly VFR singles, it does not mean we don't have to consider comfort and economics.

It has always been impressed on me when I was a green CPL(1993), that you needed to operate in such a way as to ensure pax comfort, and save the operator as much money/time as you could safely manage. I guess it is all about thinking ahead.

Just a note on the strong westerlies: Because we don't have much in the way of high mountains out this way, it is not very common to get mechanical turbulence above a couple of thou.
you do get shear between different winds at different levels, for sure. What i am saying is that it is quite likely that you will find a lower level that will be smooth with less headwind, as the westerlies tend to increase with height, which is what I think Havachat is alluding to.

Nothing intended to offend from this end, however, you would do well to never under-estimate what people do or have done in their time.