PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More madness at BA.
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2001, 22:36
Psr777

Lightbulb

PHEW!!!!!!!!!!

What a read....., in essence I suppose I agree with the argument, with respect to seniority and position etc., however I can't help point out that the industry in itself is somewhat to blame. The cabin crew themselves will tell you that it has changed dramatically in the last 10 years. Seniority seems to no longer be the be all and end all of the job for them as it is no longer advertised as a "career", but just an exciting job to do for a while. Respect for position is much the same, they have lowered the entrance age for many airlines resulting in very young crew, who grew up in a very different society, being very informed about what they are expected to do and what they are 'prepared' to do, and knowing they can get away with it with current legislation as far as dismissals go.

Long gone are the days when you trembled at the mere name of a CSD operating your flight as is the same with the Flight Crew, if you don't want to talk to them, then nowadays you don't have to, if you don't like the way they talk to you....report them for abusing their position!!!

It is all a bit of a mess, but when you cut discipline in any child's life at whatever stage, it will manifest itself and will p**s those people off who went through an "old school" type of discipline, which I feel is apparent in those Cabin Crew who started flying when they actually enjoyed the job instead as seeing it as a way to have a fab lifestyle. In saying that, as a SCCM I also enjoy a fab lifestyle, BUT I enjoy my work also and very rarely have a problem with the BA Flight Crews I have worked with for the last 9 years.

Afford the Flight Crew the respect they deserve, understanding what they go through to attain their position. Any other repect you want to throw at them is entirely based upon what they do to EARN IT, as happens in any career you have.

At the same time I expect the Flight Crew to acknowledge the time and effort I put into building my career as a SCCM and afford me the same respect I deserve as a common courtesy.

In all fairness I have only come across a few individuals who have disrespected me, both Flight Crew and Cabin Crew, and in general it happens only once, a quiet word without being over bearing and the "big I am" speech works wonders.

I believe CRM does work, for both sides. At Cranebank the courses I have attended have included Flight Crew and Cabin Crew and have been a great success with both sides learning a little bit about what happens either side of the door.

As a last point, Thinalbert, when you introduce yourself to the Cabin Crew, do you do so as yourself or as Captian whatever?

If Flight Crew introduce themselves to me using their first name I use it, always (except when in customer hearing). If they do so Captain style, I use Captain and let the rest crew know to do the same.

If it bothers anyone that much, why don't they just mention it to the person involved when it happens, as long as no FCO's are broken, and no-one is being put into a difficult position I can't see the problem, the majority of us are adults after all......

------------------
Safe Flying all !!!