PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - the search goes on and on and...
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2005, 23:18
Send Clowns

Jet Blast Rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver

I was taught on my instrument rating by some excellent instructors, and have done retraining with my current employer; it is impossible to do the thorough instrument checks I have been taught within 2 minutes. At the very least it takes 10 seconds to listen to each navaid's ident for 2 VOR/ILS, a bit longer for ADF, and maybe over 30 seconds for the DME (checked feeding from NAV1 and NAV2 that is about 40 seconds to over a minute itself!). That's nearly 2 minutes just listening to idents, then confirming the tuning (or here retuning for the SAM, which cannot be received on the ground to check the kit) and selected bearing on the VORs for the first use once airborne.

Runups also take a finite time, if done thoroughly and correctly one minute per engine is a minimum. In operations they can be run up together more quickly, and I have been shown how, but in training and for test that would not in my experience be normal or, in my opinion, sensible. I cannot imagine you were taught anything but separate runups.

Whatever school you attended at Perth is a competitor of ours, I carry no flag for them. I am however an instructor, albeit only for PPL, and am very concerned that in training checks are completed thoroughly and carefully, and 10 minutes I would say is a minimum for training. I know I can get airborne in 5 from a quiet airfield, but only if I'm in a hurry and miss out the navaid checks and do the rest as quickly as possible, when I am very current and not under training. There is an saying I learnt about training when I was at Dartmouth - these are the standards from which we will fall. It means that although we will not keep those high standards we have to know them so we know how to achieve equivalent quality, and to return to them when it is needed.

It does not always seem like 10 minutes, but I bet you were not off before that on your trips for IR training.