PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS350 Astar / AS355 Twinstar [Archive Copy]
Old 7th Oct 2005, 20:40
George Semel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boy this one has become a bit of a contest. The 206 has some things about it that you just need to be aware of, one of the things that has kept me out of trouble, is the slow application of collective, no need to hank pitch, also I have found that just use enough power to do the task you need to do, Ie why pull in 100% when you can do it will 89% for example. A lot of this LTR stuff is to much pitch, to fast, the gov can't keep up, you then get a little rotor droop, and well you get the rotors slowing and you still have all that power pulled in, you get a yaw. Every time I got into one, mostly doing power assurance checks, the yaw would stop as soon as I reduced the power a little. Is the TR on the 206 little on the small side, yep, so you fly knowing that. As for the numbers well yea the 206 is going to be in more accidents and such, because there are a lot of them flying around, Bell sold something like 5000+ of them. All in all the 206 is not a bad helicopter, yes it has some quirks, but all and all if you take good care of it, and fly it well with in the limits rather that at the limit stops, and just don't push it. You could spend the next 20 years flying one and never raise a sweat. It also helps to keep the wind on the nose, but that would be true of any helicopter. Now from what I understand the UH-60 dose loose TR effectiveness ever now and again. Of course you have to have it shot off first.