PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More madness at BA.
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2001, 17:03
HugMonster

No, thinalbert, Daddy did not pay for my training. I did. And I had to work at it very hard, both before qualifying and since. It has not been easy, and I feel quite a bit of satisfaction at what I have proved to myself.

However, I don't feel that eveybody around me should be so impressed that they stand up when I enter the room, nor that I should be accorded respect automatically for that.

You disagree with that. You feel you should receive respect as a right. Well, I'm sorry to have to tell you that it doesn't work like that in the real world. This is not the 1950's any more. You will not have your crew saluting, addressing you as "Captain" and deferring to you simply because you have four nice shiny stripes.

If you disagree with what I say, then do so - it's your privilege. However, your insulting terms demean your posting, and detract from the points you are trying to make. You see fault only among Cabin Crew. I called you on that, and you said you stood by everything you said. This is exactly the sort of attitude that will have cabin crews' hackles rising. Why reinforce their misconceptions? I agree with Rongotai's post. It is people like you who help the impression among others that "Flight Deck crew are a bunch of jerks who think that they should be respected merely because they're who they are, and don't care how they treat anyone."

My "basic level" of respect is based on my respect for other people's feelings, for them being a human being who has a basic value to the team, for their self-esteem, and self-image. Treat them otherwise and you will remove all of that. But treat everyone you meet, from cabin crew to baggage handlers with respect and that enhances your own image, your own professionalism.