PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More madness at BA.
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2001, 09:42
Rongotai

The question of whether this is a "BA" problem, or a problem of a few individuals, has a rule of thumb answer in the organisational culture literature. If 3% or fewer of a workforce have a given dangerous/dysfunctional attitude, then it is will tend to be regarded as an individual problem, best dealt with by individual counselling, training or disciplinary action - and eliminated through improved recruitment procedures. If the frequency is greater than 3%, then it is an issue of organisational culture.

This is because of intermittent reinforcement of the behaviour of respondents. If I, as a flight attendant, encounter flight crew who are contemptuous of me (e.g call me things like 'biscuit thrower') less than one working day in about 20, then I will focus my hurt and anger on the individual concerned, and I will retain my generally sunny disposition.

But if I encounter these attitudes more than once every 20 working days, then I become likely to adopt cautious and defensive routines - defaulting to an assumption of ill will until proved otherwise.

The trouble in this particular case is that this is working in both directions and seems to be setting up a negative feedback loop. Regardless of where it started, once set up, my negative default behaviour in my role of flight attendant is likely to increase the likelihood of causing yet another flight crew member to also descend into negative assumptions about all flight attendants, and this change will reinforce the negative responses of yet more flight attendants.......

Once the negative and defensive behaviours are being reinforced in this way no amount of pontificating about chains of command is going to change it. Deep level cultural interventions are required. I had believed that Hampden-Turner did this for British Airways some years ago - but if he did, then it looks like he failed.

CRM development in a negative cultural setting like this is worse than no CRM at all. You end up with the kinds of things decribed in this thread - abuse of the kinds of relationships being developed. CRM principles assume certain cultural attitudes, but training in CRM cannot create those cultural attitudes.

I have no personal idea as to whether this describes the actual situation in BA, but one posting sounded warning bells for me. If it is so that flight crew and cabin crew do not do CRM development together, then somebody somewhere has it all very badly wrong.

The other negative indicator, of course, is the descriptive language used by some BA personnel in this thread. Whether this is the language used by >3% cannot be deduced from its frequency of use here.