PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - desert flying suits in the JHC
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2005, 00:27
Amateur Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This old chestnut! Haven't heard this one for a few months now. The statements so far are correct. Having been out there during the height of the summer, DCC is by far the most comfortable option (IMHO), and the most practical. It's great when you need to blend into the background (relatively so anyway, considering there may be a smoking wreck in the postcode). As for the corporate side of things, I think I know what is meant having spoken recently to some returnees. Without wanting to go for a self-hack interview without biscuits, its all about creating a bugg3ration factor for as many people as possible by creating wacky rules.

BUT, and this is the controvertial point- DCC goes up like a petrol soaked rag. Ask CAM Henlow to see the burning man trial results, and you'll see the advantage that desert gro-bags provide (fire retardency and flash fire protection is the answer). JHC are happy to risk front line, overstretched (yep, that's right, I'm fishing for Southside ) aircrew for the while by not getting us the dessie rompers.

I have the trial Non Fast-Jet Flying Clothing (fire retardent DPM), which is good as it does what it says on the tin. When the trial is over and the mods have been made, it will go into production in desert colours for use straight away. Not sure on the timescale of this though, I'm not sure which decade, let alone year. When the improvements are made, and I'm fairly sure that the tank drivers et al will want a copy as well, especially after the events in downtown Basrah in the past few weeks.

Time, as ever, will tell.

AA