PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More madness at BA.
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2001, 18:51
Magnus Picus

Red face

Got here a bit late, but the whole issue is one that I hold very dear to me.

Perhaps I could add to the debate regarding respect and also prejudice; whether it is due or earned.

The majority of Cabin Crew who are joining nowadays believe that respect is earned by pilots and due to CSD's. The mechanisms that have led to this curious phenomenom are debatable (Some blame training methods, inherent disemmination of propoganda by management or maybe change of psychological profile of suitable candidates).

Personally, I have discovered that in order to enamour myself with C/C with whom I will share company with for the next few days, it is sometimes necessary to be self depracatory about my 'position' for the first few hours of meeting. I never bring the subject up, but quite often I have to "laugh at myself/colleagues" to prove that (maybe) I'm not one of those "egotistical wakners".

My point?

We are both prejudiced in our own stereotypical ways and on the whole the majority of both professions tend to either hide these prejudices or not have them at all. The answer to who is most to blame lies in the paper each group 'tends' to read.

PILOTS - A Broadsheet (Not lacking in prejudice, but intelligent enough to allow the reader to develop their own from selective use of reporting)

CABIN CREW - The Daily Mail (Damning diatribe of 'opinion' mainly based on hearsay and never afraid to express prejudice if it helps their cause)

Yours occasionally sycophantic (Hates being alone for 4 days)

Magnus

[This message has been edited by Magnus Picus (edited 01 May 2001).]