PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Transat CC falls from Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2005, 11:41
flybywire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A BA new entrant CC fell from a 737 in CDG a couple of years ago-as she started closing her door the stairs were removed without notice-and since then the rules have changed in my company.

In Theory the ground staff should come to the door, ask permission to remove the stairs to the crew responsible for that door, release the gust lock and help the crew close it. Not because we can't do it on our own, but because we can't "walk in" those heavy doors anyway, we have to keep our feet inside the plane for safety reasons thus making the whole process more difficult on our backs.

Too many times though (especially in airports like AMS, FCO, VRN etc) the ground staff decide to ignore this procedure, which is annoying and dangerous. Once I found myself being carried away by the steps at the back while breathing a bit of fresh air during the turn around!! Thank god I was completely "outside" and could hang on to the handrails till my squeaky voice attracted the attention of the cleaners. The Captain that day issued the biggest b***ocking to the ground staff I've ever seen in my flying career!!!

FBW