PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why Does the RAF have the Harrier today?
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2005, 20:53
Tamaze Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAF QWI,

eloquently put! Unfortunately the HSE and European legislation that we are forced to adhere to has meant that the IPTs fear taking any risk. Nowadays it is only when dealing with the smaller programmes that we can slip one past the net. I believe the majority of people involved in upgrades do not really understand the concept of 'risk'. To most, it is something to be avoided and certainly not something to put ones name to. If we could only get people to understand that risk is something we accept, but manage! That is the difference. I know some who adopt this approach and take the pragmatic and sensible (but still operationally focused view), which means an awful lot can be accomplished with relatively little.

Getting to why the RAF still has the Harrier, I ask a simple question.......... why not? It is a very capable bit of kit; yes, a radar would be nice, but it is primarily a mud moving aircraft, and I would dare say that there are more than a few lads on the ground who are happy to see a decent CAS platform pitch up.