PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAA Cadet scheme
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2005, 18:35
King Red

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But they choose the wrong applicants

Guys, its about calibre not colour. Well that what we would like to think. Unfortunately my day to day line experience has shown me beyond reasonable doubt that the calibre of the people they take into the cadet scheme is not up to speed. They are therefore hired for their colour.

Sad to say but black or white, bushman paintings are aften of the same colour. Skill is of utmost importance here. You are on your own at 100 or 10000 feet having to make a decision that the colour of your skin cannot help you with. Calibre, calibre, calibre.

On the other hand (Darren), I have met some really great cadets of colour who do deserve everything they have been given. People who are disadvantaged as individuals.

Also know of many cadets who by no means are disadvantaged individuals nor are their parents.

So what does the scheam actualy achieve. Not much in my opinion, just makes some pay for their own licenses and via tax for their copilt's license as well, cause not many cadets get to command a plane until their late 40's.