PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Al-Qa'eda gets the RAF's message
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2005, 14:51
Jackonicko

Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm happy to assume that the Harrier blokes did a great professional job, and that they killed genuinely evil men who represented a real danger to us and our allies.

I will not lose one second's sleep over their fate.

I'm impressed that they chose to deliver a 'warning shot' to give the insurgents a chance to surrender. I'm kind of pleased that they didn't avail themselves of this opportunity, since I'm happier to see Islamist terrorists dead than captured, causing us difficulties as we struggle to balance our responsibilities and duties with the need to extract int and the natural desire for revenge.

BUT

SirP's LC is absolutely right. They will be replaced (probably at a ratio of ten to one) and this kind of breathlessly enthusiastic and triumphalist coverage will serve only to increase the danger to Britain, and to harden moderate Islamic attitudes against us.

It also seems more Sun-like than I'd expect from a supposedly serious and intelligent broadsheet, but then the Telegraph's defence coverage has gone terribly 'Beano' since Mick Smith left.